St. Mary’s Medical Center believes seniors deserve a bit of special
attention. St. Mary’s Emergency Services has developed a program
called Senior Comforts—Emergency Care.
More than 10,000 "baby boomers" turn 65 every day.According to
the World Health Organization (WHO) and AARP, America is not fostering
age-friendly policies and practices that reflect this trend in our communities.
We've made some changes to help our seniors feel more comfortable
and confident while they receive treatment. Some rooms have been converted
to reflect designs that acknowledge the changes we face when aging. Our
age-friendly spaces focus on many obstacles to treatment, including accessibility,
safety and comfort for our aging population:
- More privacy - Quiet areas which are large enough to accommodate the dignity
of the patient and extra seating for family members who often need to
be with older loved ones receiving treatment.
- Warmer environment - Temperatures in the rooms reflect the needs of older
patients, whose bodies don't keep them as warm as they used to.
- Blankets that have been warmed are available at all times.
- Larger, easy-to-read clocks and signage. Large-print magazines are available
to read while waiting.
- Softer-colored surroundings with better lighting and dimmers giving patients
control of their environment.
- Assistive devices for hearing and vision.
- Slip-resistant floors with handrails and grab bars.
St. Mary's is committed to going above and beyond to meet our patients'
needs. The Emergency Department is open around-the-clock to serve you
when you need medical help.